Taking cold water bath has a lot of benefits for children.
1. Reduces stress Levels:
Studies show that taking cold water bath reduces stress levels .It acts as a stress buster.
2. Improves Immunity:
Cold water bath improves immunity against cold, flu etc.
3. Increases blood circulation:
When cold water falls on the body ,the arteries and veins contract ,resulting in movement of blood with high pressure to various organs.With hot water bath it is just the opposite. On taking cold water bath blood circulation in vital organs increases to keep them warm thus increasing the overall circulation of blood in the body.
4. Increased vitality:
Children who take cold water bath are less lethargic .Improved blood circulation helps them remain active.
5. Increases mental strength:
It is not easy to take cold water bath in the morning. If children are encouraged to take cold water bath in the morning it helps to make them mentally strong as it requires a lot of will power to go through any experience that is not pleasant. Remember early sages, the first thing they used to do in the morning was to take a dip in cold river water. It helped them to elevate spiritually. In tough trainings like military training they don’t allow warm or hot water bath in view of making trainees mentally strong.
6. Increased metabolism:
Cold water bath leads to increased body metabolism which helps in growth and is good for body.
7. Increased Hormone production:
Leads to increased activity of glands .Increased activity of glands leads to increased production of hormones. Helps improved working of endocrine system.
8. Deepens breathing:
When we put cold water on body the veins constrict leading to heavy and deep breathing which results in more intake of oxygen in the body. It gives somewhat same effect as a strenuous exercise.
9. Lastly, it improves skin and hair shine by maintaining body moisture
Points to be taken care of:
1. Let the shift from hot to cold water bath be gradual. Let the child bathe with lesser hot water than his body is attuned to .Let his body settle down to this temperature .Then lower the temperature further down gradually leading to luke warm water and finally shift to cold water bath.
2. It is always better to start bathing with cold water bath from lower part of the body from feet to legs .
3. If your child has some specific ailment then better take advice of a doctor before shifting to cold water bath.
4. Cold water bath should not be taken immediately after any kind of physical exercise.It is advisable to let the body come to its normal temperature before taking cold water bath.
5. Body should not be exposed to cold water for too long.