As parents we should strive at teaching responsibility to our children very early in life. We should help them to grow up as responsible adults. There are different levels of responsibility-
• responsibility at personal level(personal responsibility)
• responsibility in dealing with others(interpersonal responsibility)
• responsibility towards home and parents
• responsibility towards society and country
Children should be taught to take up personal responsibility.
• Let them make choices and teach them to live by their choices. Initially, they may be guided on how to make choices and slowly they should be left on their own. Choices given should be limited. Start by giving them little choices such as the choice to select menus on family outings, let them select what clothes they want to wear when going out on an occasion etc.
• They should be taught to own up the responsibility of their actions. They should never be encouraged to make others as scapegoats for the results of their actions or choices.
• They should be taught to take up the responsibility of their health and well being .
• They should be taught to take up the responsibility of doing their homeworks in time. Initially parents can be around guiding them to do their homeworks in time but slowly the responsibility of doing their homeworks should be shifted to children.
• They should be taught to take up responsibility for their exams preparation and take up the responsibility of their results henceforth.
• They should be taught to take up the responsibility of keeping their work area clean.
Tools that can be used as measures of responsibility quotient of children:
• Charts can be maintained. These charts should be pasted in the visible areas where children can see them now and then but should be kept out of sight of outside people.
• Table of their responsibility areas should be maintained and should be regularly updated with appropriate remarks after keen observation. At the end of one week or one month their responsibility quotient should be evaluated and they should be made aware of it.
Results of not accepting personal responsibility:
Children who are not taught to take up their personal responsibility
• don’t succeed much in life
• are highly dependent on others for their views
• grow up as emotionally weak personalities
Thought process of children who are not taught to take up their personal responsibility
• Life is unfair
• Someone else is responsible for their actions
• They always look for the reasons for their failures outside and never have the courage to look inside
• Always looking up for someone to help them out
Some Famous quotes on Responsibility
In the long run we shape our lives, and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And the choices we make are our own responsibility.
If you take responsibility of yourself you will develop hunger to accomplish your dreams.
A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his freedom.
The greatest day in your life and mine is when we take total responsibility for our attitudes. That’s the day we truly grow up.
John C .Maxwell
You must take personal responsibility.You can not change the circumstances,seasons or the wind, but you can change yourself.That is something you have charge of.
Accept the responsibility for your life.Know that it is you who will get you where you want to go,no one else.